Saturday, August 7, 2010

What do I do with kale?

Two words, KALE SLAW!

When I first had this recipe at the Moscow Food Co-op in Moscow, Idaho, in 1998 I was hooked for LIFE! Every time I serve it at potlucks or parties everyone wants the recipe. It's that good. It's amazing and a great way to use up a lot of kale. Try it and you to will be hooked for life. I think this recipe alone, along with Pesto Cheese Rolls and Oatie cookies has kept the co-op in Moscow going strong. So trust me and make it and you'll be amazed. I shared it with Melissa at Sweet Melissa's and she has people asking for it on the menu...I think it should be offered permanently...hint hint.

The moment you have all been waiting for:

Kale Slaw

Ingredients:

2 medium bunches kale, rinsed, de-stemmed and cut in thin strips
1/3 lb carrot, grated
1 cup red cabbage, in thin strips or more


Dressing:

2/3 cup cashews, finely chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 T. ginger, minced
1 can green chilies (4oz.)
1 1/2 T. Tamari (wheat free) or Namo Shayo
3/4 cup vegannaise

( I put the above ingredients, minus vegannaise until very end, in our food processor and combine until almost smooth, then add vegannaise to finish)

1. Prepare veggies and place in large bowl.
2. Mix dressing ingredients together in small bowl or food processor, then pour dressing over veggies.
3. Toss and serve cold.

It's amazing. You could always use regular mayo but when people do they realize it doesn't taste like what I bring to potlucks and you can find the Vegannaise at the Big Hollow Food Co-op. I use the purple label which has grape seed oil in it.

You will be a hit at the next party you go to and don't be surprised if all there is there is Kale Slaw variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment